The travel blog of a hiking and backpacking wine lover.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Isle Royal National Park the final days



As we descend from Mt. Ojibway we evidently missed the trail we really wanted in the fog, and eventually end up back at Daisy Farm. Not a big loss as the forests we passed through were some of Angie's favorite of the trip. If we were still going to Lane Cove this would have put a real kink in my side, but since we decided to camp at three mile it only adds 2 miles to our day, bringing the final total to 14. At check-in and speaking to another ranger this is not an uncommon occurrence, they might have been trying to make me feel better.



The woods from Ojibway to Daisy are a mix of pine, loose open bushy area thin wood, swamp, and a few open rocky areas. Sign and animal trails are everywhere on our hike. Angie is convinced that while she hasn't seen a moose or wolf, they have definitely seen her.



The trail especially between Daisy and 3 Mile is obstacle ridden without the rain, but with, it is down right treacherous. We all take a spill or two at some point, Isaac takes too many to count. But no real injuries. We wade through parts of the trail with water sometimes up to the mid point of my calf. It doesn't matter our feet can not get any wetter.

We pass a father and children who have decided to try and make it to Daisy Farm, and he asks me how much farther. At least 2.5-3 miles I tell him, which brings grumbling from his troops. We try to reassure them, but we hear later that his daughter was balling by the time they reached Daisy Farm.



We grab the last campsite at 3 Mile, next door to our first campsite, and set up the tents. The rain finally subsides. While I'm rigging the two tents together with a porch made from my extra poncho a ranger stops in. She warns us that a lone wolf has been sighted at Daisy Farm for the last 2 nights, and that they are going to try to haze him and scare him off. We heard about this from a gentleman we passed early in the day. The lone wolf evidently peeked into the shelter at him for a while the night before. He said the wolf looked a little thin of hip. As much as I would love a wolf sighting I'm not sure about a desperate wolf sighting. The ranger warns us not to let the kids outside by themselves after dark, and to be loud and scare it off if we see it. Also that we might want to hang our food.

We change into dry clothes, eat our Thai Peanut noodles, and play 'who am i' until we drift off to sleep.



We wake to a partly cloudy morning that gives away to the sun. Seeing as we only have a little over 3 miles this morning we take our time breaking camp. We lay our things on the rock slab beach to dry, and generally just hang out. When packing I have Isaac stand guard over our food and trash bag. There is a squirrel who is bound and determined to get into it. He jumps up on the bag even while one of us is standing right next to it.

I decide that we will hike the Tobin Harbor trail back to Rock Harbor. It is a little longer but I've read is much easier on the ankles. The trail flanks Tobin harbor and is just as pretty as every other trail we've been on, and much less dangerous to our feet. While hiking I mistakenly ask a passing hiker what the time is. 11:00. We usually hike a slow 1.5 mph if you include our frequent stops. We have over 3 miles to go which doesn't give us much time. I push everyone pretty hard, afraid that we might miss our boat. Of course I push so hard that we make the almost 4 mile hike in an hour and a half. Sorry guys. Next time I'll bring a watch.

We spend our last moments on the island polishing off the last of our snack bag. We get Ice cream sandwiches from the camp store. And talk to other hikers we've become acquainted with on the trail.



The crossing back to Copper Harbor is little more than a common boat ride, if we had 2 foot waves I'd be surprised. Naps, and a few games of 'pass the pigs' pass the time.

We do a little shopping and I try to get gas. The needle was on E when we left for the island, and I didn't have extra cash with me. The gas station only takes cash. So we decided to get gas upon our return. Of course when I get there the station is closed. So be warned the Copper Harbor gas station only takes cash, and is only open until 7. We eat dinner at the Mariner North again, I've never had smoked trout pizza before, very yummy. I ask our server where the next closest gas station is, and he replies Phoenix, but she is probably closed by now. Phoenix is a 2 street town over 30 miles away. So we head back over to the campground, the motels are booked. We at least can take a shower even if we are yet to sleep in a bed. Angie and I joke that if we can't get out of town on Sunday we will hock the car and give up, forever to stay in Copper Harbor.



I'm exceedingly proud of my family for being able to persevere on a trip that had a number of thing go wrong. There were plenty of chances for any of them to give up, and obstacles that would make giving up easy. What I'm amazed by more is the sheer beauty that Isle Royale holds. It truly is a magical island, and each of us has already expressed our desire to someday return. There truly is a reason that even though it is one of the least visited National Parks, it has one of the highest per capita rate of return visits. If it weren't for all the other places I wish to backpack. But that is for another story.

1 comment: